Total Pageviews

Thursday, November 25, 2010

Vegan MOFO #8: Thanksgiving!

So I made a couple of treats for Thanksgiving. Bear with me because I will tell you how to find the recipe for both of these, I promise. I'm going to provide links and page numbers so this post doesn't last too long. I decided to make vegan pumpkin cinnamon rolls so I used this recipe. Manfriend wanted sugar cookies last night, so I used Alicia Simpson's recipe from Vegan Comfort Food, page 214, and added a little magic to it (magic:1/4 tsp of cream of tartar and substituting pumpkin for the applesauce). I also made myself some wicked tasty pumpkin oatmeal this morning which I will post the recipe for!
First the cinnamon rolls!



Adding the wet to the dry, yadda yadda.



Rolling it up! It wasn't as hard as I thought it would be. I wouldn't knead this too much. You don't want the dough to be too glutenous because then your rolls will come our hard and kind of chewy. Nobody likes that.



Going into the oven annnnnddd...



Delicious! I really love how pumpkin makes every thing this beautiful bright orange color. I would definitely wait to eat these, as you would want the frosting to soak in. I poured the frosting on right out of the oven and then put a top over the pan to keep it from drying so it would soak in, making each roll ooey gooey on the inside as well as outside.

Now for the cookies! These also turned out wonderful and did not taste much of pumpkin. The pumpkin really added to the texture though-so moist! And the color of these is a wicked bright orange as well. I love it!



Doughy goodness.



The cookie! I ALWAYS add cream of tartar to my sugar cookies. I feel it gives them this undeniably delicious tang. I've also heard that vegan sour cream can make these orgasmic, though I don't know how to use it in cookie recipes quite yet.

Last but not least, my breakfast this morning: Pumpkin Oatmeal
1. Bring 1 cup of water to a boil. Remove from heat.
2. Add 1/2 cup of oats and cover.
3. Mix in a 1/4 cup of pumpkin puree, cinnamon to your liking, 1 T of brown sugar, pinch of kosher salt and a sprinkle of nutmeg.
4. Let sit for about 5 minutes (if you can stand it) to let the flavors meld.
5. Nom the crap out of it.



Again, happy thanksgiving and tofurkey day!

MN Vegan

No comments:

Post a Comment