Total Pageviews

Saturday, November 20, 2010

Vegan MOFO: NYC! Part 3!

All right. Candle 79. Here I go.
This place is fancy schmancy and quite pricey for what I'm used to. I mean it. Don't come here if you don't want to spend at least $20 on an entree and nearly $15 if you're sticking around for dessert.

They first brought out "palette cleansers" which was a bunch of veggies (I think zucchini, mango, and some others) in a delicious creamy white sauce on a spoon. Pretty tasty. Tasted like a bunch of veggies in mayo kind of. We started out ordering a side order of onion rings with a "special sauce". The onion rings were quite bland, but the "special sauce" (they had a name for it, I just don't know what it was), was fucking amazing. Perfect. I call the sauce "special" because I liken it to the "special sauce" typically on a Big Mac.


Next came our dishes, which were exceptional. Mine was a medley of collard greens, "meat" slices, tomato sauce and onions. It had many different levels of flavor in it. I LOVED the avocado on top. Fucking delicious.

Manfriend's was just as epic. It was barbecued seitan topped with slaw and a side of sweet potato fries. The fries were not crunchy, but pretty damn tasty. I had only a bite before he wolfed this dish down, and from what I could tell, the seitan was damn addicting. You wouldn't want it to stop.


We finished off our meal with the vegan cannoli. Lordy, this dessert was perfect. I have never had a cannoli in my life, but this vegan cannoli was surrounded by a deliciously smooth chocolate sauce, sprinkled with powdered sugar and topped with a smooth ice cream. Manfriend said he, and I quote, was "going to only have one bite". Fat chance. He ate almost the whole damn thing. No wonder though, as this had a delicious vanilla cream in the center of the cannoli pastry and pastry itself, was incredibly crisp and delicious.

Candle 79 is a must-go for NYC's vegan visitors (and any visitor, really). They keep the portions small, but at the end of the meal, you are STUFFED.
This place started to get busy after 7pm, but before that, the restaurant was enjoyably quiet with dim lighting and had a very pleasurable ambience.
Hot damn.

Candle 79
154 E 79th St
New York, NY 10075

MN Vegan

No comments:

Post a Comment