Total Pageviews

Sunday, November 27, 2011

Something I've been meaning to post for a while.

And now I finally have the ladynads to do it. I'm sick of people treating me like veganism is the only thing defining who I am as a person. They hear the word and shove me into this mold. One of the first reactions I get a lot is "you don't look vegan".
How is a vegan supposed to look? How am I supposed to even react to something like that? My first reaction would be to be slightly offended I guess?
Is it possible to "look" vegan?
What about "acting" vegan? I imagine this might entail a militant vegan response to every situation in life, but that is the EXACT opposite of the person I ever wanted to be. I do not agree with this and I will not stand to be treated this way.
I think one of the reasons I don't outwardly enjoy being defined as a vegan is because of the stigma that sticks to that word.
I am so many other things.
I am a music whore, violinist, baker, hippy, mommy to a wonderful dog, girlfriend to a fantastic man, best friend, daughter, lover, sister, godmother and many many other things. I am NOT just a vegan and I will not let it define me the way it has in the past. I don't enjoy that the first thing people ever find out about me is that I'm vegan. What about all of the other things I do?

This goes to say, I'm not ashamed of being vegan, it's just a facet of who I am. Veganism will never control everything I say and do and I think that is so freeing in a way. I've been putting too much pressure on myself to really wear veganism like a big, neon sign hanging around my neck. I'm ready to let the other parts of me shine through too.

No comments:

Post a Comment