Total Pageviews

Sunday, December 19, 2010

Mmmm delicious updating!

So yesterday was a fairly busy day. I went to visit my grandma's sister and presented her with a gorgeous pink scarf. She seemed to like it a lot! I purchased it from Ethique Nouveau here in Minneapolis. I'm really glad she liked it!
Then I went to a vegan meet up at 3 Tiers which has a couple of vegan selections on their menu including a vegan Bahn Mi and another veggie sandwich, a couple of soup selections (I had the tomato basil) and even a couple of dessert selections! (2 truffles, a vegan cupcake). It's a nice little place in south Minneapolis. I enjoyed meeting new people and talking with everyone.

All right let's cut to the fucking chase through all of this frou frou-y bullcrap. Today I have a vegan holiday cookie exchange. I made the chocolate peanut butter filled cookies from Soy, Not Oi! minus the peanut butter filling because I did not have any vegan powdered sugar on hand. This book is DIY up an down and everything I've made out of here, though seemingly pretty primitive (and I say this lovingly), is fucking delicious! I would like to highlight that the banana flops are not to be missed and the recipe to make your own beer is golden. Hell yes.
Ok get ready for a couple of food reviews, because I'm raring to go on this one.

I tried the recipe for Chickpea Cutlets from Veganomicon finally after hearing all these wonderful things about the recipe. HOLY SHIT. I have been missing out. They're so easy to make! I'm not going to paste the recipe here in hopes that you buy the book if you don't already have it because this recipe is golden. Here, take a looky:



The ones on the left were fried and the ones on the right are baked. Personally, I prefer the baked chickpea cutlets. They have a better, less oily/fried, taste obviously.



Yep. This is what happens to a slice of soy cheese in the toaster oven. WTF?!



I personally love eating the chickpea cutlets with a blob of this stuff. It is perfect and completely vegan!



We might have gotten snowed in last weekend and invented a magnetic garlic shelf. Hee.

Ok now Tofurky Frozen Pizza with Daiya. This is something that, when I first saw it, I was like "oh no they didn't". Oh yes they did. But I'm kind of disappointed and believe I am a victim of false advertisement in a way. The crust was crispy, the sauce was tomato-y and mildly sweet but the Daiya vegan cheese?



Minimal. I want more Daiya. Like what it looks like on your package:



Ah well. It should also be mentioned that I got this for XMAS:



I have been baking up a storm with it. In fact! Manfriend and I had a cookie contest at the Uptown Whole Foods just the other week. His recipe did not win against the non-vegan ones, but we were still excited to be a part of it! Here's me with the cookies:



It was really fun! The Whole Foods crew bakes your cookies following the recipe you submitted and then people come in to taste them and they vote on the best one! We had entered Manfriend's vegan tollhouse cookie recipe and got selected as one of five to compete for the winning treat! Like I said, we didn't win, but it was really fun. I enjoyed myself!



Happy Hol's ya'll.

MN Vegan

No comments:

Post a Comment